Date: September 10, 2020
Category: Press releases
Autor: Ewelina Kaatz-Drzeżdżon
A new research project, dedicated to the development of secure satellite communications for governmental users, will be launched on 15 September 2020. ENTRUSTED will be implemented by almost 20 institutions representing EU member states and EU agencies. With the budget close to EUR 3 million, allocated under Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme, ENTRUSTED will deliver its expected results by February 2023.
Identification of user needs is a crucial success factor. Hence, the ENTRUSTED consortium members have set up a Network of governmental Users (NoU). The network will be expanded to associate other interested governmental and institutional users of secure satellite communication services.
Due to its institutional representatives, the NoU is expected to serve as a platform enabling the exchange of information, experience and expertise in a competent, trustful and secure way. ENTRUSTED will offer the possibility to participate in dedicated training, workshops, live demonstration activities and conferences. Expanding NoU will increase the scope and extent of consultations, and enhance the project’s impact.
ENSTRUSTED will accomplish the following tasks over the next 30 months:
- Development of a common understanding of governmental user needs for secure SATCOM systems;
- Elaboration of a consolidated and prioritised set of user requirements for the future EU GOVSATCOM programme;
- Analysis of available and planned secure SATCOM capabilities and solutions offered by commercial operators and governments, taking into consideration relevant use scenarios;
- Preparation of a synergies map serving the uptake of secure GOVSATCOM solutions among different users, based on different capabilities and requirements;
- Identification of needs for standardisation in terms of European standards for secure SATCOM user equipment and services;
- Identification and prioritisation of main research and innovation actions to be taken at national and EU levels with regard to secure SATCOM user technologies;
- Indication of options for more efficient use of investments across the EU in secure GOVSATCOM.
Identification of key governmental user needs and requirements will be conducted in parallel with the assessment of relevant technologies and research initiatives. These activities will support the indication and prioritisation of necessary actions that will fill gaps between existing secure SATCOM capabilities and governmental user requirements, taking into consideration aspects of interoperability and standardisation.
ENTRUSTED will provide recommendations for the European Commission in terms of considerations that could affect user experience in the field of secure satellite communication services. These may relate to necessary investments, user equipment and, if relevant, technological aspects important for the design of future services. Recommendations will be presented in the form of a consolidated set of institutional user requirements for secure GOVSATCOM services and a long-term Research and Innovation Roadmap and Coordination plan (RIROC). ENTRUSTED will provide guidelines for future initiatives and affect the final shape of the EU GOVSATCOM programme.
Grant agreement No. 870330
Timeframe: 30 months (September 2020 – February 2023)
Budget: 2 999 940.00 €
For more information about ENTRUSTED, please contact the project Co-ordinator or use
ENTRUSTED media contact details.
Polish Space Agency